Tuesday, January 05, 2010

My Day Off and No Coffee???


Okay, it's my first day off in a week. I woke up this morning and all I wanted was a good cup of coffee to get me going. I have some great freshly roasted coffee that I just bought at Roasters and what do I find? I have no filters. No, I am not going out this morning just to buy coffee filters - it's below zero out there and thats too cold for me.

So - what can I do? My solution was to do my very coarse variation on the press pot way of making coffee. I don't have a press pot but I do have a good Pyrex large measuring cup. I took my coffee mug du jour and found it holds 16 ounces. So I put 16 ounces of water on to boil. Then I measured out 1/4 cup of my whole beans and ground them to a coarse grind. When the water came to a boil I took it off the burner and waited for the rolling to stop. Then I added 3 tablespoons of my grounds to the water. I seem to remember in my pre-coffee addled mind that a 6 oz. cup takes 1 tablespoon of coffee. Hmmm, there is still a bit of ground coffee left. Oh what the heck - let's throw in another tablespoon of coffee to the pot. I let it steep for 4 minutes and then poured it through my tea strainer into my mug.

Hey, I even got a bit of crema on the top. That's cool. So, how does it taste? Very nice - very strong, but also smooth and not bitter at all. I think that fourth tablespoon of coffee wasn't probably necessary but this is pretty good.

Nope - I just took another sip and think this will do just fine. Looks like I will make it through the morning now. I'll go out this afternoon to run my errands and hopefully I'll remember to get some coffee filters.

Stay warm today - it is definitely winter in Iowa.

PEACE

No comments: