Thursday, March 16, 2006

Its Flu Season

Ok folks, this isn’t about poker but being sick isn’t fun and it definitely cuts into your time on the tables.

I’ve had the flu before and I had always just gone to bed and ridden it out. I didn’t think there was much the doctor could do for me. But things have changed in the doctoring world. They now have a medicine that will attack the influenza virus and slow it down or even stop it from replicating. I don’t know how long this type of medicine has been on the market but it was new to me. I have to thank my wife for tipping me off on this one – unfortunately that just means that she had the flu first and had to learn from our family doctor.

So here is the drill. Get to your doctor early – don’t wait. If you can start the meds within the first 48 hours, it can all but eliminate the disease.

I started feeling funky Sunday night and by Monday morning I had a headache, a dry cough, no energy and ached all over. I tried to go to work but went home by 11 am. I slept all afternoon but didn’t go to the doctor. I heard about it from my wife when she got home – she chewed me good. I had a very rough night. I added chills (fever?) to the headaches, aches, and cough. I saw my doctor on Tuesday morning and he said I really did have influenza. He prescribed Tamiflu. I’m told there are three or four antiviral medicines on the market but that is the one my doc uses. He also said I was getting a secondary case of pneumonia so he filled my butt with an antibiotic and added that script to my list.

By Wednesday I was already feeling much better. Now, on Thursday afternoon, I am feeling almost 100%. I saw my doctor this morning and he confirmed the pneumonia is clearing as well as the influenza. Only two days of being sick. I’m kicking myself now for not going in on Monday.

I’m writing this because I’m told that we are having a late flu season this year and maybe someone else will go see their doctor early and not just ride it out. Even if you don’t go in the first 48 hours, the medicine will still shorten the length and lessen the intensity of the illness. At least that was my wife’s experience.

So, if the flu bug gets you this year, consider seeing if your doctor can help you out. You will feel better and be back at the tables quicker.

No comments: