Tuesday, October 13, 2015

HyVee equals great service




HyVee equals great service

After 25 years in retail I am always on the watch for great customer service. I must admit that it is not rare in my home town but not always the norm. But yesterday I experienced an excellent example of great customer service.

Let me tell you the story, I was on my way home from a meeting and I stopped at my neighborhood HyVee store to pick up some things for the birthday dinner I wanted to cook last night for my daughter. I was going to feature grilled pork chops and I thought it would be nice to make some applesauce to go with it. I remembered reading that Macintosh apples make the best applesauce so I thought I would give it a try.

I went into the food store and to the apples but couldn't find any Macintoshs. A staff person named Mike was straightening the apples and restocking the display with new ones so I asked if he had any. He thought for a moment and looked over his display but we didn't find any. He even looked a little disappointed when he told me that he didn't have any. I said that was okay and picked up a bag of another variety. Then I went into the back to get my pork chops and also get some other items.

I found everything else without a problem and was almost to the checkout counter when Mike called to me. “Sir, look what I found.” And he held up two bags of Macintosh apples. “And they are even locally grown”, he proudly added. I was very glad to exchange my bag of the other variety for a bag of his Macintosh apples.

As I was going through the checkout I commented to the checker how pleased I was that Mike had found the apples I wanted and had then searched me out to give them to me. The young man bagging my items looked up and said, “Was that Mike? Oh yes, he does stuff like that all the time.”

Well, he may do that kind of thing all the time but I have been in all too many stores where that would never have happened. So, thank you Mike. And thank you HyVee for having HyVee on your staff.

Oh, by the way, Macintosh does make good apple sauce. It was just that right addition that turned a regular Sunday dinner into a birthday feast.


Enjoy.

No comments: