Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day 2010

What a day.  Father's day.  This was a day to remember for me.

It started early this morning at the church.  This was the day that the Rev would say good-bye to our congregation as we prepare to move on to the next chapter in our life.  I watched from my seat in the pew as she gave her sermon - "Amen" - a lump started to form in my throat as she said good-bye to those wonderful people who have loved us and supported us for the last five years.

My eyes started to fill when a church elder came up to present her with the gifts from the congregation.  They rose as one and gave the Rev a standing ovation - they are sending her out with pride to serve a new congregation.

And I totally lost it as I watched the choir sneak out of the loft and gather behind her as she prayed.  With  mischievous grins they readied themselves for the special anthem they had secretly rehearsed just for this day.  "Amen"

That would have been enough.

But it was Father's day.  My daughters took me out to dinner at The Olive Garden.  My new son-in-law greeted me with a copy of the new Tom Petty CD.  Then a beautiful card and leaf etching from one of my daughters graced the table.  The other daughter remembered I had lost my favorite Leatherman tool in the flood.  A new and better version now has taken it's place in my pocket.  We had an excellent meal and I enjoyed the company of my family for the afternoon.

That would have been enough.

But then I open my browser and there in my blog reader inbox is a link to a poem.  http://365daysofpoetry.blogspot.com/2010/06/mukluks-or-loafers.html

Yes, it was a very good day.

Peace

No comments: