Tuesday, March 02, 2010

The Sea of Galilee


The sea of Galilee, the lake so important in Jesus' life. This is where he found the first of his disciples. This where he took the boat out into the water - away from shore - so he could preach to the crowd. This is where the story says he fed the multitudes with just a few fish and a few loaves of bread.

In all of our travels this was one site that we knew was real. This is the lake of the biblical stories. It hasn't moved - it hasn't even changed all that much. Though the boats are a little more modern, fishermen still go out each night and return in the morning with their catch.

We ate lunch at a fishing Kibbutz on the shores of this lake. The traditional fish of the lake is called St. Peter's fish. We know it in here as Tilapia. I grew up on a lake in Minnesota, and grew up eating fish. I wasn't going to pass on the opportunity to eat fresh fish from the Sea of Galilee. I didn't take a picture of my lunch but this picture gives you a very good idea what I was served. Several people at my table where put off by the whole fish presentation but I was familiar with this. This is how we ate Sunfish and Crappies when I was a kid. The fish was prepared in the traditional (I believe kosher, but I may be wrong on that) manner. Simply scaled, gutted and gilled. Grilled over the fire with only some seasoning. It was delicious.



I hope all of you will be able to enjoy lunch today.

And my grace at the table will include a prayer for
PEACE.

No comments: