Sunday, May 03, 2009

Church Basement Ladies

I don't get out anywhere near often enough so when my daughter invited me to join her for the evening I agreed. She said she wanted to take me to Rock Island, IL to a dinner theater. On the way I was told we would be seeing a play called "Church Basement Ladies" at Circa 21.

What a riot. The play is by no means high theater but it was a romp. I haven't laughed so hard in years. It is a story of four ladies who run the church kitchen in a little Lutheran church in rural Minnesota. It is sort of a cross between Nunsense and Prairie Home Companion. A wonderful blend of church humor mixed with Minnesota Norski jabs.

"Do you know if this is called a casserole, a covered dish, or a hotdish?" I may be a Minnesota Swede but even I know the answer to that question is hotdish. I swear I know those ladies - one of them could even be my mother.

I really enjoyed the time with my daughter as well. She is grown and "out the house" now so I don't get to see her as much anymore.

So folks, I guess I have two lessons from this weekend. First, when your daughter wants to treat you to an evening out - take her up on it. Second, if you get the chance to see Church Basement Ladies - go for it.

Peace.

No comments: